The Ultimate Sleeper, Audi S4 (B5)

Posted by wilf355 | 6:10 AM | , | 0 comments »

In 1998 I owned an Audi A4 2.8 Quattro. Not the fastest car on the market but at the time I felt it was one of the best looking. It was black with black interior, huge 16" wheels. This was my initial introduction to German engineering as I was more interested in the performance of the domestics (this was during the time of supercharged Mustang’s, Camaro’s, and Corvette’s). The A4 was classy and adequate for around town cruising but not a real contender against some of the more highly modified cars.



It wasn’t until 2000 did I realize it’s potential. That year, Audi had released a modified version of an already great selling car, the S4. Powered by a twin-turbo 2.7-liter V6 rated at 250 horsepower and 258 ft-lbs. of torque, the S4 was civilized enough for daily driving and at the same time, eager for the occasional spirited highway run. The impressive numbers can be attributed to Audi's use of ultra high-tech components like variable camshafts, five-valve-per-cylinder heads, and a dual-stage composite intake manifold. Audi's engineers were especially proud of the S4's flat powerband that boasts full torque at a low 1,850 rpm, an important attribute considering the typical lack of low end grunt associated with turbo engines.



At the time, this was by far the fastest car I had driven. Although it had more HP than the regular A4, one thing that I could not get over was how Audi really didn’t do much to differentiate the S4 from the A4’s. With subtle styling cues, 6 spoke 17” wheels, and S4 badges sprinkled liberally around the car, it could easily be mistaken for its brother. But because of the lack in styling that scream, “hey look at me”, this could be the reason why I chose the S4 as my ultimate sleeper pick. On the other hand, with a few simple bolt-on’s, one could expect to wake an all wheel drive sleeping monster.



Now Porsche fans, you might want to stop reading at this point because it’s about to get ugly. A few years ago, I was on my way to Chicago driving my newly purchased CLK55 when I saw two sets of headlights quickly approaching in my rear view. Thinking it would be a couple of Exotics closing in on me, I sped up to a least try to catch a glimpse. It wasn’t until they passed me was it shockingly evident what types of cars they were. One of the vehicles was a black S4 and the other was a burgundy 996TT. Typically, it would be easy to speculate who the winner of this competitive driving experience should be but the results were a little surprising, and this was no ordinary S4 needless to say. Out in front was the S4, with what seemed to be the 996TT almost limping behind it.



At this moment, rejoicing Audi owners around the world are thinking, “How could it get any better?!” Well it doesn’t. First and foremost, I am a fan of the S4 but, from what I’ve seen and read regarding its reliability has left me far from impressed. Still plagued by electrical gremlins and minor mechanical issues, the unleashed monster can quickly turn and bite you if not properly maintained. Audi clearly made a comeback with the S4 but still carried over a little bit of the reputation it had from the 80’s.



Bottom line, if I were looking for a vehicle I could highly modify while still being able to squeeze a few friends or maybe a car seat in the rear, the Audi S4 would definitely be one of my top picks. With the release of the new “S” cars, purchasing a B5 S4 has become very reasonable and affordable. In fact, it is highly likely you may find a used Audi that has already been somewhat modified. Tuners such as STaSIS Engineering, GIAC, and APR have made it possible to see HP numbers in the 400’s with the right types of upgrades but, remember to keep a few dollars stashed away for a rainy day. With the S4, it may rain often and you may need more than just an umbrella to keep you dry.


(Full Spec information can be found on Audiworld)

0 comments

Enjoy The Site?

Tell a friend:
Become A Subscriber

If you would like to receive updates of new ModSpace articles and news, be sure to Subscribe here!


Suggestions On Future Posts

If you would like to suggest an article to be published here on ModSpace, feel free to visit our Contact Us page.