OK, some of you may be thinking, "Ferrari, what more do you need to do to it?" Well, in this day and age, even the likes of Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche are not immune from the tuning market. Whether it be performance upgrades, wheels, or a kickin' system, people are spending billions of dollars a year for the price of "individuality" even in the face of a troubled economy.



Take for instance one such owner. I had the pleasure of meeting this gentleman at an Exotic Car meet in Lake Geneva, WI last year who subsequently, allowed me to take a brief joy ride in his Ferrari F355. Even at first glance, you could immediately tell it was not stock. With 19" ROH Modena wheels imported from Australia wrapped in Michelin PS2's, the rear stance of the car looked extremely wide. To top it off, the owner had lowered the vehicle 1" by adding a set of H&R lowering springs. Coined the "Death Star", this F355 was darkened all the way around to include replacing the front and rear bumpers with European bumpers (no side markers), tinting the windows, and tinting the rear taillights. The front bumper indicators were also replaced with clear indicators to remove any indication of US Spec, amber markings. In my opinion, this was the best F355 I had ever seen.



Moving to the interior of the vehicle, you could tell the owner took great care in keeping somewhat of a factory look but changed out a few problematic pieces such as the sticky, plastic parts with carbon fiber from Powerspeed (earlier model Ferrari's were infamous for these somewhat questionable parts). The massive sill plates were then covered with CF inlaid with the silver CF Ferrari logo. The gauges, console and other minor interior pieces were also covered. Lastly, the owner added new aluminum pedals for the driver as well as an aluminum kick plate for the passenger to give it more of a challenge car feel. Upgrading the head unit to make it Ipod friendly was also necessary because let's face it, who carries cd's in their car anymore?



What impressed me the most however was not the stealthy styling, or the CF upgrades but more the engine and performance parts. Coupled to high flow cats and a Tubi exhaust, the F1 wail of this Ferrari was incredible. This was evident from the initial twist of the ignition. Now I know exhaust parts alone do not add much if any HP but the sound, oh the sound is worth every penny. The owner did reassure me though that I would feel "a little bit more kick" compared to other F355's I may have driven due to the addition of an ECU upgrade. Excitedly, I could not wait to jump in and test her out.



From what I've noticed on other F355's I've driven in the past, the steering is typically light and the clutch stiff but hey, this IS a true driver's car. With the addition of the lowering springs, the increase in handling was evident. This F355 felt more planted and I also felt like I was able to really "throw" it into corners without fear of losing the rearend. First gear still seemed a little short but after you've made it into second, you were really able to feel the horse come to life as they threw you back into your seat. I was able to do a highway run with my buddies Acura NSX and the results were more than impressive. As the image of the Acura NSX grew smaller in the rear view mirror, I could only imagine the look on his face as he picked pieces of rubber from his teeth while choking on the exhaust fumes of the F355.



(To view the Ferrari F355's stock specifications, visit Cars.com)

12 comments

  1. Anonymous // August 9, 2008 at 5:18 PM  

    I've had the same experience racing against an NSX. I will admit that through 1st and 2nd, he had me by half a car length but after that, you could feel the 380 horses pulling away. I blame it on a bad launch!

  2. Anonymous // August 9, 2008 at 6:27 PM  

    Another NSX bites the dust.

  3. Paul91 // August 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

    Wow?!? You should be really proud of yourself... 2 more cylinders and 100+ HP advantage and you can barely pull away from a V6 with 270HP?!? "The NSX...like a Ferrari but engineered by people who went to college"

  4. Anonymous // August 11, 2008 at 6:28 PM  

    Oh yea... well my dad can beat up your dad!

    And my e-p3n15 is bigger than yours, as well...

  5. Anonymous // August 11, 2008 at 7:30 PM  

    I like these 80's car ... the Ferrari looks a bit older, the nsx also reminds me the 80's a bit ..

  6. wilf355 // August 11, 2008 at 8:20 PM  

    Paul91, yes the Ferrari did have more HP but shouldn't you at least know where those hundred horses are coming from? Those horses are hitting at a range of approx.8500rpm's.. higher than that of the NSX. This means that not often will an everyday driver reach the the entire 380 unless they wind it out to the redline, everytime. With that being said, it is arguable that the Ferrari's HP numbers are consistent with the NSX's through certain powerbands and that most drivers will be conservative with their shifts and shift early as to not risk blowing a $30K+ engine. I don't have dyno sheet to make this comparison but if I do get my hands on some, I will be sure to post the results, even if it means eating my words.

  7. Anonymous // August 11, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

    Both cars are nice.....but I would like to see a supercharged NSX or 3.8L Stroker(Jon Martin) against that same 355 to level the playing field.

    Like I said I love both cars but comparing a stock NSX to a modded 355 is not apples to apples.

    BTW a 3.8L NSX will eat a 360 alive.

  8. Anonymous // August 11, 2008 at 9:45 PM  

    I've owned A Ferrari 355, followed by a 99 NSX, and currently a 360. The 355 is a nice car but for the price of rebuilding the 355 motor alone, I could actually purchase another NSX. Hands down, other than the sound, the NSX blew my 355 clean out of the water. But then my 360 destroyed my nsx.

    On a side note, my Ferrari 355 has left me stranded in the middle of the desert 2 times and on highway 1 twice. Did I mention I had only 35k miles on it? The NSX now has almost 200k miles and my bills for upkeep (NOT REPAIRED) has barely hit $6k. Not bad at all. The 360 has less than 10k miles but SOMEHOW the repair bills already topped $10k!!!!

    So bottomline, if I could do it again, I would have never purchased the 355. When you're sweating it out in 115 degree summer heat, being stranded in an exotic expensive Ferrari still means you're stranded. But the NSX and 360 are definitely great purchases.

  9. Anonymous // August 11, 2008 at 9:47 PM  

    BTW ModSpace, what do YOU drive that belongs to you? The experience of being an owner is no where near the experience of getting to joyride someone else's pride and pain when you're not responsible for it's long term ownership costs

  10. wilf355 // August 12, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

    List of cars, ModSpace has personally owned, not just driven:

    Porsche 944T
    Porsche Boxster
    BMW 325is
    Mercedes CLK 430
    Mercedes CLK55
    Mercedes ML55
    Land Rover Defender
    Hummer H1
    Ferrari F355
    Infinit QX56

    Anonymous, trust me, I've had my fair share of ownership costs.

  11. Anonymous // August 15, 2008 at 5:16 AM  

    Take them both to the track and the nsx will eat the ferrari alive. thats where it all counts and thats what the nsx was hand built for.

    Ask me how I know ;)

  12. Anonymous // August 15, 2008 at 7:40 AM  

    I am pretty sure that with some mods the power output of the F355 can be raised. Just as it can with other cars. Provided you are using well designed aftermarkets parts.
    On a Dyno, a typical F355 puts out around 300 HP to the wheels (RWHP). A NSX of the same era will do around 255 RWHP. The actual street differences between these cars are very small.
    I believe the 380HP rating for the F355 engine has always been somewhat optimistic.

Enjoy The Site?

Tell a friend:
Become A Subscriber

If you would like to receive updates of new ModSpace articles and news, be sure to Subscribe here!


Suggestions On Future Posts

If you would like to suggest an article to be published here on ModSpace, feel free to visit our Contact Us page.